Subject: [Leica] 2005 PAW Week 1
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Jan 1 06:19:22 2005

Frank,
You have presented us with a fairly static seascape.  The central
elements of rock and sky are almost centered, most of the tones are
somewhat below midtone, and the sky is predominantly at middle gray.
You have used a longish exposure to even out the ocean.  All in this
entire image is an expression of somber boredom.

Therefore, if you wanted to present a calming expression then you have a
successful image.

My personal expression would be to expand the tonal scale so that the
rocks just go to black, the puddles of water on top of the rock are
bleached almost to white, the sky burned down darker with a higher
contrast so that the clouds are darker but keeping lighter tones in the
clouds where there is separation.

If I could retake the image I would have lowered the camera position to
add prominence to the rocks and move the horizon higher.  If the
location permitted I would have used a shorter lens closer to the rocks,
and if not then a longer lens to compress the background.

The above is just my 0.02 as to what the image appears to me.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com