Subject: [Leica] Exposure for Photographing people who have dark skin
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Jan 2 00:21:41 2005

To the classic photographic problems of the white cat in the snow and the
black cat in the coal mine, add the very dark-skinned black bride in a
white dress. I had to deal with this last summer, when my cousin married
this gorgeous lady:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/2-34Antionette.htm

I remember pointing the M6's (imaginary) meter circle at her, so that half
of it was on her dress and half of it was on her skin.  Which worked, but
since she's very dark and the dress was very white, her skin was right on
the edge of underexposure with T400CN film.  If I had it to do over again,
I would have opened up 1/2 stop or 1 stop, just to get a little less noise
in the facial shadows.  I can get a great 8x10 out of this negative,
scanned at 4000 dpi, but anything bigger and the noise starts to show up.

On the other hand, if I was using Tri-X for this picture, I probably would
have stayed with the exposure I got, or only opened up 1/2 stop.

Cautiously,
--Peter