Subject: [Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine, which is more addictive
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Sun Jan 2 08:03:14 2005

Hi All,

Happy new year, and: On Jan 1, 2005, at 7:49 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

> Several folks have suggested one of the high end Canon's instead of
> another 20D, but I'm quite pleased with the feel in hand and the
> weight of the 20D so I'd hate to use a heavier camera even though I'm
> accustomed to an R8 with motor. The 20D feels so comfortable I don't
> think I'd want to be using different cameras.

I agree with your assessment of the 20D, though the prospect of a
full-frame 1Ds II and all that extra digital information to play with
is, well,  interesting...

> Maybe it's the auto focus when using the Canon lenses? Because I don't
> have the same serious sensation when calmly focusing an R lens with
> adapter. When I do, then it feels like I'm being serious as though it
> were an R8.
>
> Then again maybe it's just me, as others have not mentioned this kind
> of feeling. Maybe I should hang an M7 or two on my neck and use them
> at the same time with the 20D? I believe Tina works with both digital
> and film at the same time. Another thing to add to the list of new
> things to try while shooting digital in 2005! ;-)

Well, I also understand that feeling, and I especially miss the
simplicity and elegance of the M system, however: Since buying my 10D
in April 2003 (now sold), I haven't exposed a roll of film. My old
reliable lab, Mile High Camera in Denver, went under after 97 years in
business last year largely from a drop in processing revenue. And the
often listed advantages of digital, including vastly superior low-light
performance, are too compelling.

As for auto focus, I set the sensors to focus only with the center
sensor. On Canons, this is the most sensitive in low-light situations,
and therefore works well with slower zooms. It also means I remain
engaged in the focus, them compose mode of shooting. Goes a long way to
retaining that "I'm in control" feeling I used to get with manual focus
cameras.

As for serious, I guess photographing Gerhard Schroeder and Bush Jr
this past G-8 summit counts as serious -  :-/  - OK, I know I need to
find the time to post some of last year's work. Anyway, that was with
the 10D.

> It does raise some questions when we have a pile of bits and pieces
> lying around and not being used. And to sell the Leica's is tantamount
> to selling your children! ;-)

Yup. Still have two film Leica bodies left. Maybe the RD-2 - if one
comes out - will fit the bill.

Will von Dauster

Boulder, Colorado

Message from bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C) ([Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine,which is more addictive)