Subject: [Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine,which is more addictive
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jan 1 18:48:52 2005

Dan C said:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine,which is more
addictive<< ;-)

> When I bought my first digital camera, and took a decent photo with it, my
> reaction was always, "this could have been a great photo, if only I had
> one
> of my film cameras with me instead of this thing."
>
> But no more.   With my latest digicam (Minolta 7D), I find myself
> wondering
> what I'm going to do with all the film in my fridge.  I know what's going
> to happen.  I'm going to force myself to use that film, and then if I end
> up with something half decent, I'm going to regret not having my 7D with
> me.<<<

Hi Dan,
I had similar feelings when I began playing with the Digilux 2 and a Canon
G5. However,
now I use the 20D SLR, still learning and playing. But I'm beginning to
believe I could be all digital without any problem after each time I've
"played with it." But when I start to feel this way I try to dismiss it, not
because I'm not sold on the quality of digital, but what the heck am I going
to do with all the film & gear? Sure I'd keep one M7 and a couple of lenses.
But?

"What the heck am I going to do with 3 M7's, an M6, two motor driven R8's, a
pile of R and M lenses, a few flashes and a few other Leicas of various
vintage and others, 4X5, 2 1/4 etc.

And it get's scary because that's only the gear!

And what the heck am I going to do with a 100 or more rolls of Tri X, at
least a hundred rolls of slide film, tons of filters of various sizes, I
should've got rid of years ago. And 250 sheets of Ilford Pearl surface 11X14
paper, at least 200 sheets of 16X20 fine art paper and a bunch of 8X10 pearl
surface paper. Obviously the paper is all wet tray! :-(

Not to mention the amount of digital printing paper beginning to pile up!
:-) Well that's no problem as the digital stuff keeps expanding, as it
appears to be. And the more I use the R lenses on the 20D, the more I see
purchasing another 20D as I hate working with 1 camera and screwing around
changing lenses when I'm shooting assignments or projects.

Several folks have suggested one of the high end Canon's instead of another
20D, but I'm quite pleased with the feel in hand and the weight of the 20D
so I'd hate to use a heavier camera even though I'm accustomed to an R8 with
motor. The 20D feels so comfortable I don't think I'd want to be using
different cameras.

However, I must add that when shooting digital I have a strange gut feeling
that I'm not shooting serious pictures. :-) Because I've used Leica's for so
many years it's difficult not to have an M or R in my hands. Shooting
digital some how feels like "frivolous shooting" and yet I'm visually
motivated in similar fashion and the shots look no different than results if
I were using a Leica.

Maybe it's the auto focus when using the Canon lenses? Because I don't have
the same serious sensation when calmly focusing an R lens with adapter. When
I do, then it feels like I'm being serious as though it were an R8.

Then again maybe it's just me, as others have not mentioned this kind of
feeling. Maybe I should hang an M7 or two on my neck and use them at the
same time with the 20D? I believe Tina works with both digital and film at
the same time. Another thing to add to the list of new things to try while
shooting digital in 2005! ;-)

It does raise some questions when we have a pile of bits and pieces lying
around and not being used. And to sell the Leica's is tantamount to selling
your children! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine,which is more addictive)
Reply from rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure) ([Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine, which is more addictive)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine,which is more addictive)
Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine, which is more addictive)
Message from bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C) ([Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine,which is more addictive)