Subject: [Leica] What's the story with airport security these days?
From: alaxsxaq at gmail.com (Glenn Stauffer)
Date: Wed Jan 5 02:27:04 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:22:20 +1100, Rick Dykstra <rdcb37@dodo.com.au> wrote:
> I've done lots of domestic travelling since 9/11.  They found my Wenger
> pocket knife for me - it was lost in my briefcase.  Had to post it back
> to my home address.
>
> I'd imagine that traveling with a heap of film would be a bit of a
> drag.  Or is it manageable?  I see that some are shipping film ahead
> and then back home - to avoid x-rays I suppose.

I've flown domestically with film cameras about 6 times in the past
year and internationally twice - Mexico and Belgium.  Went with 400asa
film to France and on most domestic trips and 100 to Mexico.  Put it
in one of those lead-lined film bags.  A few times, the electronic
gear and probably the film bag itself has caused them to run the bag
through the xray machine twice.  So, there can be up to three xray
exposures on domestic flights and up to four or five on international
flights since customs xrays the bags on entry in many places.

I would prefer to have my film hand inspected, but I rarely have the
time to spare in the security line and I just don't want to deal with
them any more than I have to, so I've been taking my chances.  So far,
no adverse affects.

Glenn

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] airport security - mailing films?)