Subject: [Leica] airport security - mailing films?
From: alaxsxaq at gmail.com (Glenn Stauffer)
Date: Wed Jan 5 05:35:29 2005

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:03:30 +0100, Douglas M. Sharp
<douglas.sharp@gmx.de> wrote:
> Anybody know what happens to parcels of films? Doesn't the postal system
> have
> similar checking systems for packages? I'm pretty sure that postal
> security must
> work along the same lines as airport security, after all a lot of these
> packets
> and parcels are transported by air too.
> Douglas

Isn't it true that airmail is not scanned in the same machines that
luggage passes through?  I haven't heard of problems related to
airport scanning, but the film manufacturers and processors put out
advisories when the USPS started installing those electron beam
scanners to sanitize the mail.  I've read many advisories to use only
FedEx or UPS to ship unprocessed film.  These same advisories suggest
that precautions be taken with any piece of electronic equipment
including cameras, flash memory cards, etc.

Of course, I've mailed about a dozen rolls of film to A&I with no ill
affects using USPS Priority Mail.  I really wasn't considering the
risk; now that I know a bit more, I'll use UPS.

Glenn

Replies: Reply from yup at pacbell.net (doug kim) ([Leica] airport security - mailing films?)
Reply from jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB) ([Leica] Re: airport security - mailing films?)
Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Blog: Digital compact camera sales peaking in Japan)