Subject: [Leica] Philip Borges at the Bowers Museum, California
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Wed Jan 5 19:40:54 2005

Frank Filippone wrote
> If you have not had the opportunity yet to see some magnificent work by
> Phillip Borges, the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, CA has a major show of his
> work.  Absolutely magnificent images of (mostly) children in their native
> background.  These are best described as environmental
> portraiture.  Most or all of his work is done using a Hasselblad camera.
> Marvelous use  of limited DOF.

While some elements in the portraits are superb,
I don't care for the overall feeling of most of these "environmental"
portraits.  The children seem to be disconnected from
their environment.  The background sometimes feel like
the painted background in a photo studio of yesteryear.
I suspect that it is due to the post-processing technique.

Just my humble opinion.  I suppose it is a matter of taste.

- Phong