Subject: [Leica] WTB - Starter Camera for 12 yr old
From: amicalola at yahoo.com (James T. Carpenter)
Date: Thu Jan 6 13:38:45 2005

Ask the parents what sort of film budget they're going to swing.
 Also, $100 cameras often don't have accurate/working meters --
so that might mean additional money for a light meter. (If they
don't have an "extra" already.)

If the film budget is only 2 rolls a month, it'll be hard for
the kid to learn.  (My opinion.)  Personally, I thought the
recommendation of digital ala Canon G3 (or similar) was a great
idea.  Full manual controls, -- and they're not too fiddly
either, just click the fingerwheel and change the aperture or
shutter -- instant feedback, and some zoom & macro to boot.
With all that, the kid is in complete control.

If money is a concern, tell them to sell the drumset to finance
the camera gig. ;^)

James Carpenter
Tyler, TX

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] WTB - Starter Camera for 12 yr old)