Subject: [Leica] Re: Question: B&W
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat Jan 8 09:59:45 2005

Glenn:

>- which B&W film scans well?

I'm partial to Fuji Neopan 400, Neopan 1600, and Acros 100 (in that order).

>- what do I need in the way of chemicals to do my own developing of
>the above film?

I use Kodak Xtol, Kodak RapidFix (solution A only...no hardener, which is
solution B), PhotoFlo, and distilled water for the final rinse (with
PhotoFlo).  Other than that, it's normal tap water.

It takes about an hour of my time to develop 4 rolls (in a liter tank).
This includes setup and teardown since my "darkroom" is an interior bathroom
and I do my wet work in the kitchen once the film is in the tank.  Scanning
the negatives I develop myself is a breeze.  I hate scanning C41 film,
because then I have to deal with the dust and scratches my helpful lab adds.
I live in a small enough town that I don't have other good, local options.

These are mostly unretouched scans:

http://canid.com/current/thumbs.html

I'll spot the most offensive of dust spots, but until I decide which ones
I'm really going to keep, I don't put much work into photoshopping these.
You'll see a lot more dust spots on the color ones, and that's after I fixed
the worst of the dust problems.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/