Subject: [Leica] LEICAFLEX SL qusetions
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat Jan 8 11:20:49 2005

on 1/8/05 7:09 AM, mike zx18 at mikezx18@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have two questions concerning my SL.
> First question.  What series of serial numbers designates black enamel
> finish, as opposed to black chrome.
> Second question.  The take up spool where the end of the film leader gets
> inserted has cracked.  I can still use it but it's getting worse.  I need
> know a good repair facility that can fix it and give it a good CLA while at
> it.
> Also I would like to say that although I have only been on the list for
> about two weeks I am really enjoying the pictures and conversations.  I
> especially like Doug's wildlife photos since this is an area of interest of
> my own.
>
> Thank You, Mike Tanner

SL and Wildlife!!  Clearly a man of good taste.

I'm not sure where black chrome begins but anything later than 1338206 (my
blck chrme SL) is certain to be black chrome.  I have a black enamel SL but
its s/n is long gone.

Aside from DAG and Sherry Krauter you might ask John Van Stelton if he can
replace the take-up spool.  DAG is horribly backed-up right now, not sure
about Sherry.  John doesn't do as many mechanical repairs as Don or Sherry
but he'll tell you up front if he can do the work.  It's not that he has
limited capabilities, it's more a matter of having expensive specialized
tools on hand.  The take-up spool isn't a big deal as long as you know how
to rewind the spring at the bottom of the take-up shaft.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jevb at runbox.com (Jerry VanBrimmer) ([Leica] LEICAFLEX SL qusetions)