Subject: [Leica] PAW week 3: Orientation
From: alaxsxaq at gmail.com (Glenn Stauffer)
Date: Sun Jan 16 03:32:42 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:24:08 +1100, Alastair Firkin
<firkin@ncable.net.au> wrote:
> g'day all,
>
> my week 3 PAW is another silver print. Summer has been very "patchy"
> and with recent rain, I went out and spotted puddles. This first image
> is of a well known heritage building near our home. My idea was to make
> an image of the "turret" restaurant reflected in the puddle, then
> orient it as if you were looking at the original building, ie flip over
> and mirror the negative. The result:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Alastairs-PAW-2005/Week3

If you crop it even a bit tighter at the bottom so that the white
stripe defines the bottom of the frame, it gives the photo great
depth.  The out of focus area at the top and the line of the curb
draws my eye through the photo.  The only thing about it, and I'm not
sure how this makes it work as a photo, is that I feel like I'm
standing on my head when I look at it this way.  I find it intriguing,
but, after looking at it more, I start to like more the idea of the
original perspective, but cropped just a bit at the top and right side
to remove the poles.

Crop #1: http://www.glennstauffer.com/scratch/W3a.jpg
Crop #2: http://www.glennstauffer.com/scratch/W3b.jpg

--Glenn