Subject: [Leica] Cold Weather M Focusing
From: gcr910 at msn.com (Gregory Rubenstein)
Date: Tue Jan 18 08:04:40 2005

The metering/focusing block in the middle of two of my M viewfinders
disappeared yesterday during some cold-weather shooting in Chicago.
Temperature was around 0 degrees F. This happened on my M6 ttl, which has an
MP viewfinder (0.85), and my M7 with a .72 finder. Lenses in use were the 90
mm APO Summicron and 21 mm Elmarit (ASPH).

The metering/focusing blocks and normal coincident focusing capabilities
returned shortly after heading inside and letting the cameras thaw. The
blocks vanished again within 15 minutes of going  back outside in the
afternoon (temp was about the same). And returned again not long after being
brought back inside. Did keep the M7 under my coat some out of concern for
battery performance, which was fine.

I focused by judging distances -- the negatives look sharp -- but am curious
about whether others have experienced this phenomena, whether they handled
it differently (and how), or how to avoid it. Is this, perhaps, a signal to
send the gear in for a check up (or maybe check my common sense and remain
inside when the weather is so brisk)?

Thanks.

Greg Rubenstein

Replies: Reply from chehl at comcast.net (Charles Hehl) ([Leica] Cold Weather M Focusing)