Subject: [Leica] Scanning software bum-out
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jan 25 03:38:20 2005

On 1/24/05 5:18 PM, "Tina Manley" <images@infoave.net> typed:

> At 05:09 PM 1/24/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Is that how it usually is for scanning software? That for every scanner
>> you
>> want to use it with you buy it from scratch?
>
> You have to choose your software wisely, Mark.  Lasersoft is unbelievably
> expensive.  I started out with it but after the first upgrade, gave
> up.  Everybody else raves about Vuescan, but I've never been able to get
> past the non-intuitive interface. I'm doing fine with Nikon Scan that comes
> with the scanner.  All you need is a basic scan, focused where you want
> it.  Everything else can and should be done in Photoshop.  A basic scan is
> what you need to save as an archive for when they come out with better
> processing software.  All of the adjustments can be done after the basic
> scan and saved as another file.  Who knows when they will come out with
> better software for the adjustments and you don't want to have to scan
> everything all over again!
>
> Basic scans with native scanner software.  Just say No to upgrades.
>
> Tina
>

> Tina Manley, ASMP

The Nikon scan is just nifty Tina but when they finally figure out the raw
option I'll like it a lot better! I'm using it now with the Nikon will see
what happens with the VueScan and then use the one I like the best. Or both
on alternating days.
It will have to be a lot better than VueScan in lots of ways to outdo the
raw option I've grown so fond of.
All the vital nutrients are retained!

Mark Rabiner
Photography