Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 first full day impressions.
From: driggett at mac.com (Christopher Driggett)
Date: Thu Jan 27 22:40:08 2005

Well after my first day of shooting with the Epson R-D1 I have come to
some conclusions and observations.
I have never shoot a rangefinder before in my life and my first camera
was a Konica TC when they first came out. I was a sophomore in H.S.
Thus I am a newbie at this.   I shot my kids gymnastics class tonight
and next time I will bring my D2H next time.  Here is a URL for the
pictures I shoot. I shoot at 1600 available light and in raw mode.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Gymnastics

Here are my observations so far:

1) the camera is great for casual, street and artsy shooting.
2) The camera is lousy for action.
3) I have forgot how to focus after using auto focus for the last 15
years.
4) I am use to a large DSLR and the little rangefinder feels funny in
my hands. I am a tall guy. My fingers kept getting in the way and I
would change the aperture when I meant to focus.
5) Remember to change the frame line selector when switching lenses. I
forgot for about 10 pictures from going from a 50 to a 35.
6) The camera is center weighted not 1005 cell color matrix! Meter as
such!
7) Move your eye just slightly and you lose the focusing square. I am
use to smashing my nose and eye to the viewfinder(SLR) and with this
camera I have to back off my eye a little from the viewfinder to see
the focusing square.
8) Learn proper technique of keeping the camera steady when taking a
shot.

Thanks,
Chris

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Epson R-D1 first full day impressions.)