Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 first full day impressions.
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Jan 28 23:25:45 2005

No, Chris - You didn't too badly at all - Hell, on quick glance, most of
the shots are in focus, which is pretty amazing given your rangefinder
experience.:-)
(Also - in case you didn't notice, I can be painfully blunt...;-))

There's no question that using autofocus for kids makes life allot
easier - back when I was still mostly shooting film I got a pair of
F100s for just that reason - the Ms are great, but if really fast
focusing on moving objects is essential, autofocus definitely makes it
easier.

If I may make one suggestion in regard to the great majority of these
shots - get closer. (I realize the instructor may have waved you back,
but). My impression in looking at these, especially knowing what you've
been shooting with, is that you're used to standing back and using a
zoom to get you in close. The RF with primes forces YOU to do the
zooming. Allot of these shots would have been more interesting had you
zoomed with your feet.)

BTW - the performance at 1600 is quite good - better than film.

Best

B. D.