Subject: [Leica] PAW 4 - 2005 - Lee Hermann (whew)
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri Feb 4 11:44:17 2005

Ted Grant wrote:
> Steve Barbour offered:
>
>> as I look back over these exchanges I can see how, on the one hand,
>> we all learn a lot...on the other,  we become homogenized....by the
>> prevailing wisdom...
>>
>> leaving little room to be different, or creative...or take
>> chances...<<<,,
>

> Steve,
> No question we all learn something everytime. No person is so perfect,
> that even with a 100 years of experience they can't learn something.
> Some accept the opinion or critique as a learning tool. Others question
> and learn, while others may write....
> "Opinions and critique appreciated... they're far from accepting any
> comment other than "nice picture!"
> ted.

Ted, seems by accepting only what is established
fact/opinion,  we stay frozen in the present...no
progress occurs, nothing new is given a chance to
breath and maybe to flourish...

I see this all the time in medicine, as well as in
the arts...it drives me up the wall to see our
residents and students being told  "the way" to do
things, when I know  a. it's wrong   b. it's one
of many possible ways,  or c. there is something
brand new that  could be tried.

Sooooo,  what to do?  listen, learn, then go ahead
with the old way,  or the new,  if you are ready
to be criticized....

Manifestly,  you of all people know this very well
  Ted. You have proven to be an old dog, that's
always learning new tricks,  and more than willing
to venture into new territory.

And Lee ...thanks for your posting and taking the
heat.

btw,   I've  lived in Paris for more than a year,
  and I have been in a number of places there,
with real colors,  worse than yours, that looked
like they needed a Photoshop home improvement ...

:-)

Steve

Message from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] PAW 4 - 2005 - Lee Hermann (whew))
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] PAW 4 - 2005 - Lee Hermann (whew))