Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW 6, Vuescan?
From: drodgers7798 at comcast.net (drodgers7798@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Feb 8 17:20:10 2005

Tarek,

Nikon scanners are unforgiving. Great scanners. Maybe the best available.
But I never had much luck with mine. I owned two and sold both.

I scan most of my slides and negs on an Epson 1160. Everything from 35mm to
4x5.  I also have an 11-year old Leafscan which I know inside and out.  It's
slow, but still does a remarkable job.

I think my problems with Nikon scanners were rooted in the fact that  I
never learned to use them well. I thought that they should be plug and play
and I became frustrated when they weren't.

Even with Vuescan I found that each scanner has a different learning curve.

DaveR

Tarek wrote:

"... the Nikon Scanner gets the tiniest scratches and
the smallest dust onto the scan! A couple of negatives that gave
practically no scratches when printed in the darkroom came out horrible
with the Coolscan 5000 - so many scratches and stuff I hadn't seen in
the first place. The same negative came out fine when scanned either
with a flatbed scanner or with a drumscanner. ..."

Replies: Reply from jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Re: PAW 6, Vuescan?)