Subject: [Leica] Finally
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Wed Feb 9 00:18:49 2005

At 06:02 PM 2/8/2005, John Collier wrote:

>Well after six months Leica has finally gotten a replacement lens
>(50/1.4A-M) to me. Out of the box there are no troubles with the focusing
>action. Hallelujah!
>
>However -- bearing in mind that I have contracted some sort of viral
>plague that will soon ravage the planet and decimate* the population at
>large; in short, I am not as fresh as a summer's breeze -- I do not feel
>comforted by the resolution of this particular

Eh? You serious? Best of luck!!!!!

>issue. That Leica would take this long; nay, that Leica was powerless to
>come up with a solution any sooner, gives you the impression that Leica is
>in a bit of a mess right now. Hardly surprising I suppose but unsettling
>none-the-less.
>
>The reason I know Leica was unable to do anything before now is that my
>occasional mild posts to this list on my missing lens were causing a bit
>of a consternation at Leica HQ (verified by reliable sources). I must
>confess that the last time I brought it up on list was for precisely this
>effect a day or two before I called for yet another update.
>
>Though I am not particularly interested in digital myself, I feel that the
>only solution is a proper M digital camera. This would give Leica a hand
>up in that it would be the only camera out there with a decent finder.
>Some of you may pooh pooh this but it is why I bought an M in the first
>place and why I don't mind paying a healthy premium for all my gear.

If Leica comes out with a digital M with no more than 1.3x crop factor (and
hopefully less), 10MP or more resolution, with the same form factor or
slightly larger than an M7, AND hold the cost below $5000, they will have a
best seller in their hands.

use richard at imagecraft.com)