Subject: [Leica] Im slow - Canon digi + Leica
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Feb 11 11:12:05 2005

At 11:07 AM +0800 2/11/05, David Teo wrote:
>Hi Ted
>
>How do u find the 10-22? been thinking about that myself.....
>
>Anyway here's a tip i would like to pass on for anyone who is mixing
>AF lenses with manual focus lenses on Canon SLRs, or anyone who wish
>to make their Canon slr / dslr behave like a R9 or M7...:p
>
>First, set AF point to one only (centre). Under custom functions
>(for the 20D it is in the menus), select Custom function 4-1.
>
>What does this achieve? primarily....
>1) Using centre AF point only assures faster focus rather than let
>the camera take its time to choose an AF point. You choose where you
>want to AF. Applies to AF lenses, of course. This kind of simulates
>needing to focus with the centre rangefinder patch on the
>Ms..........
>
>2) More importantly, you now (auto)focus with the * button instead
>of half pressing the shutter release. This means you do not have to
>keep on refocusing using AF lenses every time you half press the
>shutter release. You only focus once using the * button, then fire
>at will if subject distance does not change. This is similar to
>using a Leica M6 / M7 / R9 :)
>
>3) Auto-exposure (AE) lock is now by half pressing and holding on to
>the shutter release. VERY much like a M7 :P Previously, AE (and AF)
>was achieved when you half press and hold the shutter release, and
>AE lock is by the * button. Now AF, AE lock have separate buttons.
>
>4) Doesn't interfere with the use of R lenses, but now you can half
>press and hold the shutter button to achieve AE lock. again, quite
>similar i believe, to using the M7 in AE mode.
>
>The summary of it all is that your use of AF lenses will follow a
>similar pattern to how you use manual focus lenses. Basically focus
>(using * buttton for AF lenses) and shoot, without needing to change
>focus if subject distance doesn't change. Nikon has a similar
>customization as well, for those using Nikon SLRs....
>
>In the original configuration, and indeed, how all AF cameras work,
>is that it auto focuses EVERY TIME you half press the
>shutter..........
>
>hope this helps :)
>
>----------
>David Teo

David, I've been using the 10-22 (for a shorter while than Ted :-))
and it's a great lens. If you shoot digital, and are interested in
high quality wide angle work, get the Panotools plug-ins from Kekus.
They allow you to fully correct for distortion, and their software
now has databases that include the 10-22 on the 20D.

The 10-22 is about equal in quality to the 16-35 Canon, scaled down
to the smaller sensor size. With proper post processing it produces
outstanding results.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  |[ ]|     http://www.archiphoto.com

Replies: Reply from reddawn at singnet.com.sg (David Teo) ([Leica] Im slow - Canon digi + Leica)
Message from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Im slow - Canon digi + Leica)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Im slow - Canon digi + Leica)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Im slow - Canon digi + Leica)
Message from reddawn at singnet.com.sg (David Teo) ([Leica] Im slow - Canon digi + Leica)