Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica sightings
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 07:20:14 2005

statisically, you are rather unlikely to see leicas in public at all --
consider, what is the seriel number of the newest Leica? In the 4 million
range? 5
million, tops?

That means maybe 4 million of them made since 1926. By the mid-50s they had
made 1 million, and most of those are probably sitting on shelves or in
boxes
or got blown up in the Hindenberg or something.   That leaves 3 million
still
in circulation, more or less.

Now, how many own more than one? Everyone on this list, so the number on the
street on any given day is reduced again, unless I want to walk around with
8
of them around my neck (including the Model C).

So on any given day I'd bet, world wide, there's not more than 2 million
Leicas up and running with film in them, ready to be used.   And that is
world-wide, spread among how many billions of people? Maybe half of those
cameras are
in the United States, with 280 million people, and I'd bet only a small
percentage of them are in New York City.

So, the miracle is that you saw any at all, and given that number I'd have
say the Leica is still wildly popular. Consider: Minolta has made 10s of
millions of SRT model single lens reflex cameras. How may of those did you
see?
How many Nikon Fs? How many Canon Fs?

Not a one, I bet.

c trentelman