Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 7: Bavaria/Denmark
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Feb 21 13:17:00 2005

A somewhat eclectic selection from a week during which I took 400-500
photos.

Last week was school vacation in the Netherlands, and so my wife and the
kids set out for a week of visiting friends and skiing in Switzerland.
About 600 km south of here, somewhere between W?rtzburg and Stuttgart,
she had an accident on the slippery Autobahn. Nobody got hurt, but her
car was badly damaged and she could not continue the journey. The
following day--Monday--I got up VERY early and drove to Feuchtwangen,
the small town in Bavaria to which the car had been towed and where my
wife and the children had spent the night in a hotel. I sorted the car
with the mechanics, and we went for a walk in the lovely town:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_7.jpg

We came upon this statue of a couple:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_7alt1.jpg
and I thought there was something funny about it. As we got closer, I
realized that someone had embellished the male part of the sculpture:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_7alt2.jpg
It somehow felt out of place in a small Bavarian town, where half of the
window display at the local bookstore consisted of various Christian
books and the standard greeting is "Gr?ss Gott" instead of "Guten Tag".

Well, my wife rented a car and continued on to Zurich while I drove back
home. Later in the week, I went to Copenhagen to do some errands and to
visit friends, breathe Danish air and be surrounded by the Danish
language. When I am in Denmark, I like to visit the places where I used
to go with my late parents. This is a place I often went to with my
mother, a park and lake in Vallensb?k, south of the city:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_7alt3.jpg

In the center of Copenhagen is a street called Gammel Strand, which is
one of my favorite spots there, for a couple of reasons. One, it has the
best beer shop in Copenhagen; two, it has an old-fashioned public
urinal, a godsend in a city where going into a bar to use the toilet is
frowned upon, and there are not many secluded spots. Just because I need
to pee does not stop me from exploring picture opportunities:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_7alt4.jpg

Lest you think it was all about intake and disposal of beer, I also went
to some art exhibits, including the annual show at Charlottenborg:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_7alt5.jpg

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2005.html
and comments & critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands