Subject: [Leica] Multiple Bodies
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Thu Mar 3 12:58:35 2005

Craig, (and Roger),

Because it's big, heavy and slow..., and because the optical quality can't
live in the same room with the primes, namely 28/2 ASPH, 35/2 ASPH and
50/1.4 ASPH? By reputation, the Tri-Elmar is a bit problematic mechanically
too, is it not?

Example:

Last chance I had to shoot anything interesting was in January on the way
back to New Jersey from Richmond, Virginia. Had a meeting with a retired
press photographer at the Air & Space Museum at Dulles. He had covered the
Opening Day and we were both expecting a lot more light in there than there
was. (Lately they don't appear to pay their electric bill! :-)

In my "travel bag" were an MP .58 and 35/2 ASPH loaded with Supra 800 Pro
from an evening out in a restaurant the night before, an M5 and 50/1.4 ASPH
loaded with Portra VC 400 and an M7 and 28/2 ASPH loaded with Portra VC
400. We could only meet for an hour because he had theatre plans and I was
due in Annapolis for dinner. Must get back there some day properly
prepared...

In the short time we were there, between the three bodies, but mainly the
MP due to the cave-like lighting conditions, I shot 40 frames, mostly wide
open, never stopped down more than f2.8. Half the shots were acceptable or
better. Had about eight solid hits, five of which are stunning, two of
which have been sold.

Obviously, you have to do what works for you...

William