Subject: [Leica] Tri X @ASA800...
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Mar 5 02:31:05 2005

> helpful. Anyway, I googled on the development time, and some people
> recommend develop normally and let the exposure latitude takes care of the
> under exposure, and some recommend increasing the time.

If you're concerned about shadow detail, then doing it one way or the
other (no adjustment or increased development) is going to make no
difference. Lost shadow detail from underexposure is lost. There's nothing
a developer can do about it.

If you want more contrast and want to raise up the midtones a bit, then
develop a little more. Not really necessary though. You can always do that
later when you print or when you adjust things in Photoshop.

Best thing to do is something inbetween. Use diluted Xtol. Xtol pulls out
a little more film speed anyway so the underexposure will not be as much.
I don't think we're talking about a lot of difference, but Xtol is pretty
good anyway.

Kodak gives some times for this if you look at the charts for Xtol rather
than looking at the charts for the film. It's on their web site under
professional/chemicals etc.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul) ([Leica] Tri X @ASA800...)