Subject: [Leica] DMR wins award
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Mar 7 16:13:50 2005

The fact that the Canon or Nikon will mount a Leica R lens is important,
however there is a big BUT.

The fact is that you lose all AF, all AE ( shutter priority only if there is
a choice), and all auto Diaphragm operation.  Most of the AF and AE can be
lived with, but there is a big negative in non auto stop down operation.
Using a lens in the manual iris mode is a royal pain in the behind.  I am
surprised none of our members here have pointed it out.  Sure, there is no
issue if you use the maximum F stop of the lens, but it you want or need to
stop down, you just cannot get it done conveniently, and certainly much more
slowly.  Sure, there are those that do it, but ask them if they prefer to
manually stop down or have auto stop down.  ( take away the issue of digital
capture.)

The R9/8 + DMR will be a ( limited) success just for this reason.  How long
it will last remains to be seen based upon the reliability of the camera,
the quality of the capture firmware, and the trust that the camera will be
repairable when it does need repair.  ( and the expectation of the customer
as to the length of time they expect the camera to be competitive with what
they want to do.)

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] DMR wins award)