Subject: [Leica] Leitz 50mm b/l finder and Osterloh's new M book (was Blackheath)
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Thu Mar 10 04:55:38 2005

Peter wrote:

>two things:
>
>I thought that I might crop it much as you suggested, but I didn't
>like the results...it wasn't enough like what I saw [there's a
>subject for discussion] but I walked backwards forwards, sideways
>and so on but settled on that in the end. Sorry you don't like it
>much Alasatair. It "is" that bit of the village.
>
>As to the snow, it is getting rather rare here. It presents
>opportunities we don't get very often...arguably I haven't made best
>use of it.

Yep - as I said, your mileage may vary.

>Alex: The URL doesn't work. I have used Sprockets to CLA the IIIf,
>on the recommendation of Classic Camera, the central London dealers.
>Can give you details if you woud like.

That's strange. Try it again:

http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/

There seemed to be plenty of hits subsequent to my post.

I'm a fan of Malcolm Taylor up on his farm in Herefordshire, who's
done superb work for me restoring a really ugly (but very cheap)
beater M2 to perfect working condition (this is the one I used in
Barcelona), and has also done an immaculate job on my 85 Summarex and
the 50 Summarit (in the latter case including re-coating all
elements).

>>Glad to see that someone else out there is using the 50/1.5
>>Summarit. I use mine with an even more venerable IIIa and a 50mm
>>b/l finder, which is a revelation in terms of ease of composing
>>shots.
>
>Alex tell me more about the finder.

The peephole v/f on the III was never that good (except on the IIIg).
But the Leitz 50mm brightline accessory finder transforms the
experience . For a start it's pretty near 1:1, which means you can
keep both eyes open, and the big image makes it a breeze to compose.
Close-up compensation is taken care of by a dotted line at the top
(or side) of the frame, and seems pretty accurate. Having used it, I
wouldn't be without it.

There's a famous self-portrait somewhere of one of the Leica legends
(can't remember who) using a III with the 50  b/l finder. His body,
as I remember is shadowed with a projected 35mm filmstrip including
sprocket holes.

Anyway, highly recommended and not too difficult to find (unlike the
85 b/l for the Summarex) .

BTW, I've just got my 60th birthday present to myself in the form of
Osterloh's new book '50 Years Leica M'. It's a sumptuous production,
and I'm looking forward to reading it. It's available from amazon.de
for a total cost of EURO 60.75.

Best

Alex
--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019

Message from corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst) ([Leica] Dzwig PAW 9 - Blackheath Village)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Dzwig PAW 9 - Blackheath Village)