Subject: [Leica] looking at Pentax *istD
From: juanbuhler at gmail.com (Juan Buhler)
Date: Thu Mar 10 16:48:22 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:26:53 -0500, Don Dory <dorysrus@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Assuming that SonC was really interested in the Pentax, I would suggest
> looking at the new Rebel XT as well.  Approximately the same small size,
> will also accept the old thread mount lenses, and had a screen that was
> easy to manually focus even with a F4 lens in relatively dim light.
> They should be in stores any day now.
>
> With that said, I really do like the *ist D for its small size and quiet
> performance.

[coming out of lurking mode]

Do compare both by all means, especially the viewfinders. The Rebels
both have pentamirrors, while the Pentaxes, besides providing a bigger
image, are real pentaprisms.

The viewfinder is one of the bigger selling points of the Pentax DSLRs.

Also, besides the old M42 lenses, the Pentax will work with all K
mount lenses made, which is also a big plus (and is helping make those
lenses really expensive lately.)

--
Juan Buhler
http://www.jbuhler.com