Subject: [Leica] Re: Advice needed on 35mm lens for Leica M
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon Mar 14 08:39:23 2005

This discussion reminds me very much of the arguments among audio
enthusiasts at the beginning of the era of solid state (transistor)
equipment. Various brands of vacuum-tube audio equipment were held up as
"sounding better" than solid-state audio.

Over time, various engineers, most notably Bob Carver and David Hafler,
managed to design custom electronic filters that could take the output of a
distortion-free solid-state audio amplifier and apply minor distortions to
make it sound like this or that brand of vacuum-tube audio gear.

I'm sure that, if it ever matters, someone will develop a Photoshop plugin
that can take a picture taken with a modern aspheric lens and distort it,
ever so slightly, until it looks as if it had been taken with an old lens
that had good glow.

Replies: Reply from creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring) ([Leica] Re: Advice needed on 35mm lens for Leica M)
Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Re: Advice needed on 35mm lens for Leica M)