Subject: [Leica] 75mm F/2 M lens?
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Mar 19 17:05:18 2005

Keith,
Answer one, look for a used 75 Lux.  This is an absolutely wonderful
lens and by F2 needs no apologies for image quality.  The new Summicron
will be even better, but at $1000 more than a used Lux I don't see the
point.  Possibly smaller size.  If in your neck of the woods no one
rents Leica, one dealer on this list rents lenses and I believe that
Rich Pinto at Photovillage does as well.  Try before you buy.  Many can
not get used to the frame lines, and some can not get used to the size.

Answer two, look into the new HP printer which prints drop dead gorgeous
B&W on HP paper.  Or, convert to MIS inks on a cheap Epson.  Almost all
the printers will not print archival prints on paper that is not the
manufacturers.  The paper and ink is designed together.  Exceptions are
the carbon black ink sets sold.

I guess mileage varies, my R800 prints a wonderful cool B&W print on
Epson paper.  In certain light the prints have a very faint green tint
to them.  However, others, find a very unsatisfactory print.

I do know that the set up that Tina Manley uses prints some pretty
fabulous prints.  Check the LUG archives for that one.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com