Subject: [Leica] Taking v Making
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Wed Mar 30 17:27:46 2005

At 4:09 PM -0800 05.3.30, Feli wrote:
>Thanks Karen. Let me give you a little more information.
>I'm  going on a trip for 4-6 weeks. Unfortunately it looks like I
>will be hitting the beginning of the monsoon season, where I am
>headed. I will be on the road for the entire time and will be staying
>in hotels. I'm taking two M cameras, 3 lenses and a mountain
>of film.

If it was me, I'd stock up on silica or lime dessicants. In Japan, as
I said, each can of Nori comes with a huge satchet. But in the
States, I buy mine in industrial sizes here: www.desiccare.com

They sell industrial grade ones. Last year, I bought two of their
shipping container dessicant packets, for use in my storage unit in
Saint Paul; as well as smaller packets for my camera bags and
indicator strips.  They were very quick in shipping. They're a good
company that mainly sells to companies.

In the field, I would keep several of the small packets in my camera
bag. That keeps the general humidity in the bag down.  I'd recharge
them every now and then. If you don't have access to an oven or
microwave, sitting them in the hot sun or in front of a hot
incandescent bulb will dry them (slowly).

The problem I find is that my bag gets wet. So at night, I'd hang the
bag to dry and take all the cameras and lenses out and put them in my
hard-sided suitcase with a large satchet of dessicants. Hard sided
suitcases are relatively air tight.

Remember to recharge your dessicants. They're worse than useless if
saturated -- they'll actually elevate the moisture level.

The worst thing you can do is to keep your cameras + lenses in a
camera bag that's damp or wet overnight. If your bag gets wet, dry it
immediately. Hanging it in the sunlight will help kill any bugs in it.

Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/

--

Message from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Taking v Making)