Subject: Charisma [was Re: [Leica] The Pope]
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Mon Apr 4 13:24:39 2005

A few years ago on a cross-country flight I sat next to Julia Child.*
 From time to time during the flight fans would come up to her seat
and, well, let's be honest about this, mostly fawn.  She dealt with
all the attention with great humor and aplomb, even though she was
obviously tired at times.  When she talked to me (on and off pretty
much for the whole flight) I had her full attention and felt I was
certainly the most important guy on the plane, maybe the most
important guy in the whole world.  By the time we landed, I was a
more than a little bit in love.

A colleague was interviewed on Charlie Rose** last year.  Same
effect.  "For that twenty minutes I felt was the center of the entire
universe," he says.

Charisma is an astonishing human trait, I think, and quite rare.
------------------
For Non-Americans:

*TV's "French Chef" and author of many cook books, including
"Mastering the Art of French Cooking," considered to be the modern
classic of the genre.  In an age of "lite" food,and low-fat cooking
she enthusiastically encouraged the use of butter and heavy cream in
her cooking.  Even better known for food mishaps on live TV and
blase' recoveries from the potential disasters.  She died last year
at 87.

**TV interviewer who focuses on politics and the arts.   His program
is known for extended and thoughtful discussion of difficult topics.

>Eric Ladner and a couple of others have asked:
>Subject: Re: [Leica] The Pope.
>
>>Ted, I can well imagine what a moment it must have been. Do you
>>mind telling what the other, similar, event was/<<<<
>
>It was on my first assignment in the home of the Prime Minister of
>Canada after the defeat of Joe Clark and the mansion was now the
>home of the new Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau.

(snip)

--
Regards,

Dick