Subject: [Leica] The Pope.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Apr 3 20:11:05 2005

What I'm about to share with you was a moment I had while photographing the
Pope in 1984 during His visit to Canada. Of course using Leica's. :-)

We were in Government House, home of the Governor General in Ottawa and as
one of the Prime Minister's photographer's at the time, it was my assignment
to shoot many meet and greets during a reception of His Eminence and Members
of Parliament.

It was a heck of crowd, something like being in a hurrican of people and
noise, just incredible. But when I was as close as it was possible to shoot,
within a few feet of the Pope, I could have touched Him or He me, there was
an amazing quiet and calmness like being in the eye of a storm.

It kind of caught me by surprise with all the jostling going on, loud voices
and yet here I was in this "quite space" shooting without any effect of the
crowd. Amazing! And in all my years had only experienced a similar kind of
"presence thing" once before.

And when the shoot was over after about 20 minutes and I stepped out of this
closeness, I was back into the jostling and racket of the crowd. So there
was something there being that close to the Pope.

For those interested, I'm of protestant faith, so to me the Pope was the
Holy Man of the Catholic church and that was it with respect. So my feelings
were not influenced due to the possibility I may have been of the Catholic
Faith.

But it was a moment to remember while in the company of this man and what he
meant to so many people on this planet. It's a sad day for many at his
passing.

Hopefully you'll find it an interesting Leica moment.

ted

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] The Pope.)
Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re: The Pope.)
Reply from ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner) ([Leica] The Pope.)