Subject: [Leica] Global dimming and photography
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Sun Apr 10 17:19:21 2005

So there's this thing called Global Dimming, caused by soot and
particles from exhausts, aero engines and industry, which has caused an
increase in clouds (reducing the immediate impact of Global Warming)
and causing a major reduction in the amount of sunlight reaching the
surface of the earth.  It must be true - I saw it on telly.  It was the
immediate aftermath of 9/11 that brought it to prominence - the skies
were suddenly much clearer without all the air traffic - and
temperatures rose noticeably.

Anyway, the measurable differences in light levels in various places
around the world, now vs 50 years ago, is huge.  Like 15% on average
and up to 25% in some places, such as Russia.

So, has anyone noticed the difference? Do the rule on thumb exposure
methods leave you with underexposed shots now?  It was Doug's post on
using an SL body for K25 that prompted me to mention this.  Is there
enough light anymore for such slow films?

Maybe Global Dimming will be Leica's salvation - fast lenses will be
all the go.  ???

Rick.

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] Global dimming and photography)
Reply from jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB) ([Leica] Re: Global dimming and photography)