Subject: [Leica] (was Coenen) now: buying Leica new vs. used
From: patrick at photo.net (Patrick (Washington, DC))
Date: Fri Apr 22 12:16:56 2005

I'll gladly admit that it was probably an off-line conversation that Joseph
and I had that
triggered that reaction! And I have apologized for that to him.

Stepping on cultural faux-pax is part of an increasingly global world (like
doing the circled
thumb/index finger sign as ?OK? or showing the bottom of your sole/feet
towards another person
e.g. when sitting down on a floor/carpet are big no-no?s in some cultures).
I think it is helpful
if both sides of the argument shows some understanding.

I?m curious to know actually as I tried to explain the purchasing
behaviour/line-of-thoughts of a
US/European-born Leica user to Joseph.  For example, one is to buy a Leica
Summicron-M 35/2 APSH
to USE, not collect or polish.  I tried to explain that one considers all
variables in that
purchasing decision: comparing new US prices with passport to used from
dealer, to new from third
party, to new from foreign source like Joseph?s authorized Leica dealership,
to a used but mint
one like from a trusted source like a LHSA and/or LUG member.  Apparently I
performed a great
insult for comparing a ?used? product to a new?!?!

I do understand the difference between buying new vs. used equipment, but I
am actually very
curious to know how it may be insulting to bring it up in the same argument.

Cheers,

Patrick
- who did take some courses in Inter-cultural communication at the
university and do have an
interest/fascination of the subject being an ex-pat myself