Subject: [Leica] OT Nikons new cameras
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Apr 22 13:40:36 2005

I love the Nikkor 45 AI-P. I use it on my FM3a and more recently on
my D70.  The FM3a/45 is a really compact little shooter to carry about.

I snagged a 12-24 zoom (my first zoom, horrors) this weekend, and did
a "bag test." In my Domke "little smaller" bag I normally use for my M6,
I can put the D70, 12-24, 45 AI-P, 85/1.8, SB800 and a Sekonic 358.
No room for a 2nd body like I had with my M6 kit in the same bag, but
the lenses nicely cover the ultra wide, wide, long normal and short tele
focal lengths. The SB800/D70 makes for an awesome flash photo combo
IMHO, and I find it use it quite a bit to good effect.

With the M kit in the bag, I've been covering wide with a .58 body,
normal with a .72 and short tele with the FM3a and 105/2.5 or 135/2.8.
So I've been choosing to configure the bag "wide" or "long".
With the M kit I carry 1/2 bodies with 2nd body M6 or FM3a, 21/28/
50 M lenses (sometimes a 35), SF24, Sekonic 358 (or little twinmate),
and film of course. With the FM3a as camera #2 in the bag, there's be
just one of the short tele's.

OTOH, I like the M finder alot better; I often like shooting two bodies;
I've only given it a week, but I'm not used to the whole zooming thing;
"white balance" frequently kicks my butt on the D70 in changing lighting,
although I snagged Capture recently so I can shoot raw and cope with
this later; my fastest lens in the digi kit is the 85 (~130mm 35mm equiv)
although high ISO support and noise post processing can help with that;
while D70 ergonomics are pretty good given all the knobs, there's something
magic for me about a simple M6; and gosh, I just sorta like shooting B&W
film and souping it up myself :-)

I like to carry a kit with me wherever I go, so "bag ergonomics" are a big,
big deal for me. Oddly, I got into Leica because I tried P&S and wasn't
satisfied with the lack of manual controls. If my Rollei AFM had a nice
finder and a longer 50mm lens on it, I might never have gotten the Leica
bug :-)

I love the idea of a smaller, manual control digi kit with a good finder.
If there were a true B&W mode where all the sensors were firing
"grayscale" giving more resolution, that would be fantastic. If it were a
Leica, that would be great, although me'thinks I won't be allowing
myself to spring for a $6K camera. Too many other photo priorities
ahead of something like that.

Anyway, back to your original inquiry, yes, I love the rendition of the
45 AI-P. I shoot up close mostly, and it seems to shine at closer focus.
Nice bokeh too.

Scott