Subject: [Leica] Film/digital wars
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Fri Apr 29 05:16:34 2005

Basically the image was first "cut" into different pieces after deciding
what had to be done: for each correction a different piece.
Almost no sharpening to this one, unless on some hairstrings. Contrasts are
pushed a bit in the dark zones. Some work on the skin: slight blurring in
overlay. Modifying lights in + whites of the eyes.
Some pushing of the already blurred zones. Beauty retouche (removing spots,
work on lips, etc.). In the end, noise (about .25%) is added to unify
everything. There's no rule about uniform or gaussian, monochromatic or not.
Just what works best for that particular job. Some image editors produce
their own grain layers even. Background blurred a bit.
This one was shot on Tmax 100 and I was surprised of the beauty of its grain
when grossly enlarged. Development was in HC110, but not in a lab: done by
the photographer himself.

Just for the fun of it I added a scan of the contact print, too:

http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/pIlse_p3-3.jpg

Cheers,
Philippe