Subject: [Leica] The Hitchhikers' Guide To the Galaxy: To Be Avoided
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun May 1 19:05:49 2005

At 09:29 PM 5/1/05 -0400, David Mason wrote:
>I have been a fan for many a decade and I thought it was brilliant. So
>there.

David

Well, you might claim to "have been a fan for many a decade" but your
credibility is rather challenged by your easy acceptance of the degradation
which this movie produces to the basic tale.  Go back and listen again to
the BBC radio shows and then praise this so highly.  I doubt that you would
be able to do so.

British humor translates easily to the US:  think of, say, Alec Guiness or
Peter Sellers or Monty Python.

Now, think about John Cleese's portrayal of a Roman soldier in THE LIFE OF
BRIAN being reprised by, say, John Wayne or Bruce Willis.  That is what we
are dealing with here.  They have gutted the essential humor from the tale.
 The trailers indicate that the flick is just yet another Hollywood
knee-jerk effort to obtain monies from British wit and destroying the joke
in the process.

Oy Vey!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu