Subject: [Leica] Re: Planning for a trip to China - somewhat, but not totally OT
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss)
Date: Mon May 2 14:38:22 2005

Thanks to all who replied.
Some of your responses prompted me to revisit an M6 based outfit. I
weighed the Ms, 35/f1.4 'lux, 90 f/4 Elmar, 15mm + Bessa R2 and a
couple dozen rolls of film. It turned out to be bulkier and heavier
than the equivalent digital kit, and less versatile.

To solve the digital backup problem, I bought an Epson P-2000, Nice
device. I will back up everything to both the Delkin and the Epson, to
satisfy my need for belt and braces. I will also get enough
CompactFlash cards to see me through the three days in Tibet.

I asked both Delkin and Epson about high altitude performance. Delkin
has yet to respond after a week. Epson responded within 24 hours. They
said:
"The Epson P-1000/P-2000 Photo Storage Viewers have a maximum operating
altitude of: 10,000 ft (3048m) or less.

Due to low temperatures at high altitudes, the operation temperature limits
of 41? to 95? F (5? to 35? C) should be observed. The Non-operating maximum
altitude is: 40,000 ft (12192m) or less."

--
Clive
Pics: http://clive.smugmug.com