Subject: [Leica] Sean Reid looks at fast lenses on the R-D1
From: miki at arbos.net (MIKIRO)
Date: Wed May 11 22:48:32 2005

Adam,

Thanks for the input. The article requires energy but worth it. I am
impressed by his keen observation and straightforward writing. Just to
show you an an example, I quote the following.

-----
As such, one might think that the edge/corner performance of a lens set
to a wide aperture is not so important because picture elements towards
the outer edges of the frame are likely to be at a different distance
from the lens than the distance its focus is set to.  As such, DOF
limitations will often take those other distances out of focus.  But, as
became clear to me while I was doing these tests, the degree to which a
lens is sharp across it?s field at wide apertures still influences the
look of subjects seen across that field even as they go out of focus due
to depth of field.  A lens that is sharp from center to outer zones at
F/1.4 gives a different look to OOF areas than one that is sharp on
center but soft in the outer zones.  I found that the lenses I liked
most for their OOF drawing in the outer zones (at large apertures) were
often the same lenses that held fairly sharp focus from corner to corner
wide open.  This is not an objective advantage necessarily but, rather,
a quality that may or may not appeal to individual taste.
-----

Surely, this is for lens aficionados.

Best,

MIKIRO