Subject: [Leica] Looking forward to a week of shooting with the DMR
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue May 17 07:08:53 2005

Michael J Herring asked:
> How are your results with the Leica glass on the Canon digital?
> I am thinking of going that way and starting with the 100mm Macro
> Elmarit.<<<<

Hi Mike,

Given there are a number of us on the list already shooting in this fashion,
Canon 20D and or other Canon models using Leica lenses via adapters of some
make, I know we'd all respond in similar fashion....... it works extremely
well. Actually better than that! ;-)

There is a definite difference between image quality with Canon glass and
Leica lenses. One would surely hope so. I've found the Leica lenses do what
they usually do on film, nice crispy excellent colour renditions. So far
I've used the following R Leica lenses on the 20D with excellent results,

R15mm
21-35 zoom
35-70 zoom
100 2.8 macro
80-200 zoom
80mm 1.4
280 2.8
400mm

And whatever else is kicking around here. Sure there's a focal length change
due to the sensor, but who cares, it goes with the territory, live with it.
But the bottom line is..... it works! Very well.

This is one of the reasons I'm not wringing hands nor crying over the Leica
situation of nothing but delays over their digi back for the R8-9. Simply
because, why should we? I mean it might be different if I had a few million
$'s invested in the company, I don't! However I do have a very sizable
amount invested in their glass and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit around
whining, crying, peeing my pants waiting for Leica to get their act
together... if ever about this digital situation.

Certainly when there's an excellent ready to go offering from Canon or other
digi camera manufacturer. And getting excellent results using what most
people say... "I use Leica for the lenses!"  And if that's the case, why sit
around waiting for a DMR back when one can have great fun gaining experience
in digital right at the moment.

And in the event you still wish to pop a dozen grand to go DMR in the
future, you'll be rockin' & rollin' in digital shooting experience and be
able to put the DMR into immediate use.

But right now?  heck man I'd go Canon, whatever model in a heart beat! It
can't get any better and still use those wonderful Leica lenses. I mean
after all, surely you didn't buy them to sit on the shelf?

ted

Message from creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring) ([Leica] Looking forward to a week of shooting with the DMR)