Subject: [Leica] mobile phones and breakneck speeds
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu May 19 17:52:09 2005

I always wondered what everyone got all excited about with the cell phone
thing in cars, states banning them and so on.
I figured they don't ban people sitting next to you in your car when you
drive why ban cell phones that would not be certainly any more distracting?
I don't drive much.
I avoid driving and don't find it particularly fun.
Getting there is alive is fun. It's the other drivers of course which make
it not fun. The stupid aggressiveness and bleary un focused un attention.

So sooner or later... later, I finally started seeing how people drove so
much worse with cell phones.
It's like they can't chew gum and rub their tummy at the same time.
They drove about a bad as they act in public as a pedestrian with a cell
phone feeling that they own the whole area which their cell phone reaches.
Making sure that anyone within that range can hear every single word of
their conversation. They shout so loud they don't need a cell phone.
It's ego boundaries.
We expand them to the ends of our car.
We ARE that car.
We expand them to the range of our cell phones.
We Are that room. That highway.
Or that railway car or bus.

Try taking a train nowadays.
A nice quiet train car is ruined with one cell phone nut.
I noticed if there is two they both share in volume equally so they don't
have to shout half as loud.

Probably drivers who got booted off the highways because of cell phone
driving.

I say put wires back on the phones!

Mark Rabiner
Photography