Subject: [Leica] WAS; Point Reyes Seashore:NOW ROGUE WAVES :-(
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat May 21 17:38:40 2005

Eric asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Point Reyes Seashore: flora, fauna and vistas

> What's a sneaker wave?  I'm picturing a surfer madly trying to
> outrace a mounting pile of Nikes that is gaining on him.<<

Hi Eric,
Well it wouldn't be sneakers, it would be one hell of a pile of water he'd
be on the run from.

Sometimes these type of waves are referred to as "Rogue waves" and are
usually considered quite dangerous because they seem to appear out of no
where sweeping away everything in their path. Or at least the under tow
drags everything back under the sea. Bad scene! :-(

Quite often people who do not live by the ocean have no idea about them and
just think life at the seashore is heaven, when all of a sudden they find
themselves knocked down by a huge wave and dragged to their death before
they even realize what's happening.

No this has nothing to do with a tsunami.

If you should at sometime attend a visit by the ocean side please keep this
in mind as they happen without warning. So it's prudent anytime one is
seaside, including us folks who live by the ocean, to keep an eye on the
water just in case.

ted

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] WAS; Point Reyes Seashore: NOW ROGUE WAVES :-()
Message from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Point Reyes Seashore: flora, fauna and vistas)