Subject: [Leica] P 51 Flight time reminder. :-)
From: gwpics at aol.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Wed May 25 23:15:35 2005

It brought a tear to more than one persons eye on VE Day here in
Southampton when there was a fly-past of a couple of Spitfires, a
Hurricane, a Seafire, a Mustang,  a Lancaster bomber  and a couple of
others. They always look great but unfortunately the Flying Fortress was
grounded and we had to manage without, although I saw it here last year.

I was born at the end of Southampton Airport runway in 1945, and
Southampton was the birthplace of the Spitfire. I can remember, as a
very small child, being stood on the back of a bench so that I could see
over a hedge into the airfield (grass runway then) and look at the row
after row of 'redundant' Spitfires etc. parked there waiting for their
next assignment. Thank God for us that next assignment never came, and
most were scrapped (it was no coincidence that the Ford car plant ws
there too!) It is a memory that I will never forget. I have added a
couple of images at Leica Album
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/album195> but I am afraid that they are
not shot with a Leica, nor are they that great.

Gerry

  Gerry Walden

www.gwpics.com <http://www.gwpics.com/>

www.digitalrailroad.net/gwpics <http://www.digitalrailroad.net/gwpics>

www.photographersdirect.com/gwpics
<http://www.photographersdirect.com/gwpics>

+44 (0)23 8046 3076

tedgrant@shaw.ca wrote:

> I obviously am excited about this coming 27th as it's a dream I've had
> since I was a teen growing up during WW2. My real wish to do this was
> in a Spitfire, the Mustang was always second choice. So when this
> situation was first talked about last fall there's been no holding me
> when I knew about the possibility. Finally it's here! :-)
>
> ted

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] P 51 Flight time reminder. :-))
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] P 51 Flight time reminder. :-))
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] P 51 Flight time reminder. :-))
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] P 51 Flight time reminder. :-))