Subject: [Leica] Re:second thoughts about digital
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 27 16:44:09 2005

In a message dated 5/27/05 5:21:24 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> I have a D70 as well, and still shoot alot of film. For me, the D70
> excels for family gatherings, flash pics and futzing with my studio
> lighting experimentation. The studio strobe futzing is for learning,
> and then it's a cutover to B&W film.

At the newspaper where I work they have had nikon D1h cameras for a couple
of
years ($500????wow! That's depreciation!) and have recently switched to
Canon.

I don't care which they use, I am talking here about a display of photos
taken with those cameras for news shots that they have posted on the wall,
printed
with a $5000 somesortof printer they use, pretty expensive stuff, all in
all,
so I have to assume that these are as good as it gets for digital prints.

I am not impressed.

they lack the "bite" of a good color print from film, the colors are
slightly
muted, the images lack definition. They are somehow smoother, which gives
them a nice look but when you look closely, they are not sharp, not as i
expect
them to be. Maybe it is not sharpness so much as lack of an appearance of
sharpness.

I do not say this to the fotogs, who call me an old fuddy duddy for using my
leicas (m2, m3, r3, cl and olympus xa, which leitz should have made) but my
black and white 11 by 14s are a LOT sharper and crisper, detail in small
things
much finer.

just an observation.

c trentelman