Subject: [Leica] One of Lug's Best
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun May 29 07:44:27 2005

On 5/29/05 6:53 AM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@comcast.net> typed:

> Of course Mark's comment was meant to be condescending, but sadly it's as
> stupid as his apparent belief that Red Dots trump all. He knows - I'd like
> to think - that a good photographer can get a good image with any
> reasonably
> good camera. Do people have their favorites? Sure - my favorite for film is
> a Leica M ;-). Are there some cameras that allow one to get a shot that
> would otherwise be extremely difficult, if not impossible to get? Sure. But
> I'd wager that any of the people on this list with real skill will
> acknowledge that they could pick up whatever camera was at hand and get to
> work.
>
> As to his dig at the E-1 - I'll let the results, which I regularly post,
> speak for themselves. ;-)

B.D. in the context of your negative to condescending to withering
relentless daily comments of any and all things Leica my view of your E
camera is this.
I have no idea of it capabilities.
To me I'ts a point and shoot with interchangeable lenses but I just don't
know. None of my favorite photographers or a photographer I've ever heard of
are using them. There does not seem to be a wave going in that direction in
the photographic world.

I do know the demands of uploading to an internet photo gallery from digital
captures are as minimal as one can get.
You could be putting us on.
You could be shooting the whole thing with a Sanyo iD Shot IDC-1000Z, 1.5
Megapixel, 3x Optical/4x Digital Zoom, SLR, Digital Camera for $149 and none
of us would be the wiser. (the cheapest point and shoot from B&H)
We'd just have no idea. As the shots would look no less good quality wise.
We'd just have to take your word for it.

When I see some 13x19's printed on quality paper with a quality UltraChrome
Epson printer I'll have a better understanding of the capabilities of that
4/3s format and the optics and "box" of that E camera system. All of these
aspects are of course critical. Your comments to the contrary designed I
assume to minimize the direction of shooting with a quality instrument like
the Leica M system to be nothing short of bizarre.

I find the EVOLT an interesting camera and would not kick one out of bed on
a cold night.
But my suspicions are that I would NOT like the 13x19s I'd get from the 4/3s
system. And suspect the quality of those imagines in a stack of prints would
be a noticeable step down from the results flipping through that stack I get
from my Nikon D100 with it's 23.7 x 15.6mm format or the amazing 4000dpi
scans I get from my Leica 24x36mm negs from my Nikon Coolscan 5000.

I'd hate the idea of being out there...
With a camera...
And not being able to "get the shot". Bring home the shot.
The million dollar shot.
Because the camera I had with me was great for in effect "sketching".
- uploading to galleries on the internet.
And not for making a decent sized print.

It just would be embarrassing.
WHY have a camera with you. And the E cameras are not compact.
Why have a camera with you that cant really get the shot? Do it justice.
So I can put it in my portfolio. Make a print and put it in a show.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/