Subject: [Leica] Rollei 35S
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Jun 2 08:38:01 2005

>Rollei35S --- Now you're talking. Best pocket sized camera ever made.
>Beats all the Leica pocket trash. The only downside is that you have to
>know what you are doing to use it. No rangefinder. No auto anything. Just
>solid construction and the sharpest 40 mm f2.8 lens in the business.
>Larry Z

Larry,

Not shure about "sharpest 40" since the Voigtlander 1.4/40 appeared. And on
the Rolleiclub Website they estimate the 2.3/40 Sonnar of the Rollei XF 35
as the sharpest 40 of all compacts.

I have a Rollei XF 35, which is another design. Slightly larger and much
cheaper than a 35 S (paid 18 Euros on the auction site - a retired Rollei
worker has CLA'd it and adjusted the voltage for new batteries for 25 Euros).

Automatic exposure and manual rangefinding. The Sonnar 2.3/40 (the larger
size of the XF body allows a faster lens than on the 35 S or SE) is a sharp
lens with a very creamy bokeh. A real Sonnar (even if the same lens was
named Color Skopar on the equivalent model Voigtlander VF135 - it was the
time when Rollei owned Voigtlander).

The XF is good for those occasions where you need a automatic compact. The
other day I have mounted it on my race bicycle with a Linhof panorama
tripod head. Was fun.

http://www.rolleiclub.com/rollei/35compact/xf35.htm

Didier

Replies: Reply from langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer) ([Leica] Rollei 35S)