Subject: [Leica] Re:First Camera
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu Jun 2 11:11:01 2005

My first camera was my father's Foth Derby for 127 film.  The shutter
fabric was  old, with leaks, so all my pictures had the same pattern of
light spots all over them. He eventually bought shutter cloth and put in a
new one. Then he let me use the camera that took all my baby pictures, a
Voightlander Bergheil (green) with 105mm f/4.5 Heliar and Suydam 120 roll
film back that I still use.

The first camera I actually bought was an Asahiflex IIa - waist level
viewfinder + optical finder, 50mm f/3.5 Takumar pre-set.  When the
temperature got below about 40 degrees F. the mirror would not come back
down, so after each picture I would have to remove the lens and pull the
mirror down with my fingernail.  Made me think through each picture.  I
eventually sold this to a Honeywell Pentax rep so I could help finance my
first used M3.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer