Subject: [Leica] Leica DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Sat Jun 4 19:10:55 2005

I think we are reaching the point where the evolution of sensor
design is plateauing and we are seeing only minimal differences
between different platforms. And I think this is a good thing because
it forces us to return to the original question of how we choose
cameras.

Remember that even in 2000, we could have chosen to use a Canon EOS 1
film body with Leica glass with an adapter. And guess what -- the
photos would have been identical.

We used to chose film bodies either because of the compatibility of
the glass we put on it, or because of the body features, not because
one body takes better photographs than another one.  I.e., a Canon
EOS Rebel could take an identically good photograph as a Canon EOS 1v
with the same glass. We chose the EOS 1v because of its superior
environmental sealing, the eyepiece shutter, build quality,
reliability, etc.

The EOS 20D is a fine camera but the base body is mid-consumer level.
It's not even the equivalent of the film based EOS-3.  The body will
last 3-5 years, but not 5-10 and certainly not for very long in
demanding environments.

I predict we'll start to begin choosing our digital bodies based on
factors other than sensor density and  image quality.  The reason you
should chose the R9/DMR over the EOS-20D will become the same reason
you chose the R8 over the EOS-5 ten years ago. Not because of the
superior "film" since the film was the same, but because the
ergonomics and other mechanics were better.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/