Subject: [Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography
From: York915 at msn.com (Stephen York)
Date: Tue Jun 7 14:36:56 2005

It may have been more accurate to say people will write better -- indeed,
much better -- if they have a clearer understanding of that which they
desire to communicate.  Whether or not they reach the plateau of "writing
well" is a separate issue.  I would defer on this issue to an educator or
someone who has more experience evaluating the writing of others.  I can
only speak for myself, and there is such a clear connection between the
quality of my writing and the degree with which I understand the subject,
that I assumed it was universal.

As far as the "old photographer's saying", I believe it has a degree of
validity, although I appreciate and acknowledge your point.  Here was my
point:  If you understand or are familiar with something, whether it be a
person, concept, or anything, and that understanding is well articulated in
the mind, then scenes which comment on that subject are more readily
apparent due to that understanding.  And least that's my working theory.  I
may be full of bologna.  It would not be the first time.