Subject: [Leica] Traveling with Leicas
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Jun 9 17:35:44 2005

At 08:03 PM 6/9/2005, you wrote:
>Tina --
>
>Before you disappear for a while, can you enlighten us as to to the
>specific advantages you see in the 1D Mark II vs. both the 20D (with or
>without battery/grip) and the 1Ds Mark II?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave.

Hi, Dave -

Very quickly because I haven't packed my underwear ;-) :    I like the file
size of the Mark II -  the IDs is almost too big.  For most of my photos
the 8.2 MBs are fine.  Larger would mean more CF cards and more storage
space on the hard drives. As far as the full frame vs 1:3 goes - most
digital cameras are weakest at the edges so a camera that excludes the
edges is not really a disadvantage.  The ID Mark II is 1:3 and the 20D is
1:6  which may not seem very different until you do the
multiplications.  The ID Mark II compared to the 20D is comparing a pro
camera to a consumer camera -  and that doesn't mean that people who use
the 20D are not professionals!  The ID Mark II has seals that will
withstand a rainstorm or dust storm.  The body is heavy-duty metal instead
of plastic; but that means that it is much heavier, so you would have to
decide if the extra durability is worth the extra weight.  I think it
is.  I love the 14 point focusing of the ID Mark II.  It took me a few days
to get used to it and to learn how to program the dial to use it, but now I
wouldn't use anything else. I'm not sure what other programs that I'm
taking for granted on the Mark II are not available on the 20D because I
haven't used the 20D.

Here is a comparison:  http://tinyurl.com/7nb9z

The wonderful high ISO's of the Mark II are the main reason that I use it
whenever possible instead of my 10D.  I'm not sure about the higher ISO's
on the 20D, but they aren't that great on the 10D.  They are fantastic on
the Mark II and the white balance is very, very good.

I think you would have to try both to decide which would be best, but maybe
the dpreview comparison chart will help.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

http://www.pdiphotos.com