Subject: [Leica] Leica] The Future of Film (B&H)
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Jun 19 18:42:50 2005

At 09:25 AM 6/19/05 -0400, Victor Rubin wrote:

>They are worth a visit just
>to look at their "system" of handling customers. A series of overhead
>baskets move items from one place to another- absolutely ingenious.

I believe that this system was the norm in most large department stores
from the 1880's into the 1920's.  It went out of fashon for these stores
for the same reason that the old grocery-store norm of going to the counter
and ordering died out:  folks wished to go the stock and pick for
themselves the items they wished to order.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505